Charred Tomato, Chicken and Broccoli Salad. Perfect Memorial Day Yumminess!
Posted on May 24 2014
This is an amazing simple and sustainable main-course or appetizer option for your health-conscious Memorial Day festivities.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Add more lemon and salt, if needed, just before serving
Makes: 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (skip Step 1)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 pounds medium tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
reparationPlace Chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks into bite-size pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add broccoli and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Meanwhile, core tomatoes and cut in half crosswise. Gently squeeze out seeds and discard. Set the tomatoes cut-side down on paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes.
- Place a large heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over high heat until very hot. Brush the cut sides of the tomatoes with 1 teaspoon oil and place cut-side down in the pan. Cook until charred and beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Brush the tops lightly with another 1 teaspoon oil, turn and cook until the skin is charred, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate to cool. Do not clean the pan.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Stir in salt, pepper and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Slowly pour in lemon juice (it may splatter), then remove the pan from the heat.
Stir to scrape up any browned bits.
Per serving: 231 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 619 mg potassium.