We all can agree how very blessed we are and how eternally indebted we feel to the Italians for creating the heavenly chocolate, hazelnut spread that is Nutella. Thanks to MNB, we have stumbled upon a shockingly delicious and clean version of the treat with less ingredients and zero sugar(no this is not a dream).
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 ounces 72% dark chocolate(chopped) or 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 300 F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the hazelnuts on it evenly, then place baking sheet in the preheated oven.
- Roast for 10 minutes then remove from oven.
- While hazelnuts are still warm, rub them with a damp dish towel or paper towel to remove some of the skins (they have a bitter taste).
- Add hazelnuts to a blender or food processor and blend until they form into a nut butter (you may have to stir in between).
- Create a double-boiler on the stove by filling a saucepan 1/3 of the way with water and bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Take a smaller saucepan and place it inside the larger saucepan (if the water comes up too high from the bottom pan, pour some out).
- Add chocolate and coconut milk to smaller saucepan and stir constantly until chocolate melts.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the blender with the hazelnut butter and blend until combined. If you want a smoother “nutella” you can continue to blend until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour nutella into a jar and seal with a lid!
Granted, it is not as easy as twisting off the lid of a jar you buy at the store and just digging in, but it is well worth your time and efforts. This stuff is spectacular and after indulging in your clean version of nutella, you don't have to spend the rest of your day ridden with guilt. So, put on your favorite playlist, get out the blender and have a blast making something healthy that will definitely make you happy in return!