This is a #foodiefriday you don't want to miss! If you are looking for something sweet and satisfying, this is for you. Try this sweet treat out and let us know what you think.
Finally! Cherries are in season. Hallelujah! Mandy from Change Room Foods has found the perfect use for these succulent beauties in these delicious Cherry & Baobab Wheels. Quick to make and the perfect efficient snack on the go, these wheels contain all the reasons why we love summer.
What is Baobab I hear you ask? Essentially, it’s another delicious super food! Looking similar to a fig, it has 3 times as much vitamin C as oranges, twice as much calcium as milk and more soluble fiber than psyllium! I know, too good to be true right. Jam packed with antioxidants, the Baobab tree in its native Africa is referred to as the ‘tree of life’ as the fruit is believed to cure many ailments from a tummy ache to malaria.
However, Baobab is not a regular get at your local Woolies. But, the powdered version is much more accessible and doesn’t skimp out on the goodness. Find out for yourself..
Cherry & Baobab Protein Wheels
Servings: Serves 18
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups (dried, unsweetened) shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup vanilla pea protein powder
- 20g baobab powder
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup (dried, unsweetened) shredded coconut
- extra 1/3 cup coconut nectar
- For the raw chocolate:
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tbsp coconut butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Place the almonds into the bowl of a food processor and blend until a fine meal forms. Add the shredded coconut and repeat
- Add the baobab and protein powders, and blend for a few seconds to combine. Pour in the rice malt syrup and blend until well incorporated
- Add the dried cherries and additional shredded coconut, and blend to mix well
- Finally, pour in the coconut nectar and blend until the mixture becomes a sticky dough
- Gather the dough into a ball and roll it between two sheets of greaseproof paper until 5mm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out round bars. Place onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper and freeze for at least 15 minutes
- To make the raw chocolate, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth
- Drop each 'naked' protein bar into the bowl of raw chocolate and remove carefully with a fork. Allow to cool on a tray lined with greaseproof paper
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
**Find the original recipe/blog on our favorite website MoveNourishBelieve**