Got plans for Memorial Day weekend? They probably include a gathering involving food, are we right? Good friends, family, people you love.
If you're hosting, preparing all that food by yourself can be a daunting task, so why not try something everyone can make together? Like these pulled pork tacos with no-mayo slaw and pineapple salsa - so tasty, good for you, and fun for the whole gang to pitch in and help with!
- 800g Pork shoulder roast
- 2 tbsps. cumin spice
- 2 tbsps. smoked paprika spice
- 2 tbsps. unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp black cracked pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- Coconut oil
- Combine rub in a bowl (cumin, paprika, sugar, cayenne, salt, pepper, oregano).
- Lay pork on a long piece of cling wrap and cover entirely with rub. Roll pork up in the cling wrap tightly. Place on a plate and put in fridge overnight.
- Remove pork next morning from fridge and remove cling wrap. Heat coconut oil in large pan over a medium heat and brown pork on all sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker with chopped onion and garlic. Cook on low temperature for 8-12hrs until the meat is falling apart.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and place on serving plate, discard onion, garlic and juices in the slow cooker. ‘Pull’ pork apart so it has a shredded appeal.
- 1/4 small red cabbage
- 1/4 small green cabbage
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove any tough outer leaves from the cabbage. Trim the core and any tough stems from the cabbage and thinly slice.
- Add to a bowl with the shredded carrot, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and black pepper. Toss to combine.
Buckwheat Soft Tacos
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 10 g (1 tablespoon ) arrowroot or cornflour
- 200ml water (or carrot, spinach, beetroot juice for colour)
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch Himalayan salt
- Pour water into a bowl. Whisk in the buckwheat flour until combined.
- Whisk in the arrowroot/cornflour and season with the nutmeg and salt.
- Check the consistency – it should flow like a crepe batter – you can adjust by adding a little more buckwheat flour or water if necessary.
- Cookjust like crepes in a pan by lightly oiling with a little coconut oil then pouring the batter just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute and flip over with a spatula to cook the other side for a few more seconds.
- Cool the soft tacos on a plate and store between sheets of grease-proof paper.
Pineapple, avocado and coriander salsa
- 1/4 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large avocado, cut in small dice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently toss together, taking care not to mash the avocado. Allow to sit for 15 to 30 minutes before serving, then toss again. Spoon salsa on top of pork soft taco.
Original recipe can be found at MoveNourishBelieve.com