If you haven't noticed by now, we're into grilling! And why not? It's June, it's hot, we're in St. Louis....
This weekend, we're grilling up some black bean veggie burgers that are sure to be the hit of any party. Grill some pineapple slices, tomato, asparagus, or any other side you'd like as well. Add a whole wheat bun and your favorite condiments, and you've got an awesome summer meal.
Original recipe makes 4 patties
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.
Original recipe can be found on AllRecipes.com.