#FoodieFriday Grilled Chicken with Barley Corn Salad
Posted on June 19 2015
Yes, we are still grillin'! It's still summer isn't it?! This chicken marinated in a sweet tomato vinaigrette, then grilled and served with barley salad bursting with fresh flavor is a meal you'll want to put into the rotation and serve over and over, even into the fall. How's that for tempting?
Grilled Chicken with "Mom’s" Barley Corn Salad
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup medium barley or brown rice to make gluten-free
- 2 cups fresh or frozen-then-thawed sweet corn kernels
- 1-1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 4 slices bacon, chopped then chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- salt & pepper
- For the Tomato Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon red onion
- salt & pepper
- Cook barley or rice with a pinch of salt according to package directions. Place into a large bowl to cool slightly.
- To make the Tomato Vinaigrette: Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a food processor or blender, then process until smooth. Place 6 Tablespoons of the vinaigrette into a plastic bag and set the remaining aside. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, then add it to the bag with the vinaigrette and marinate in the refrigerator while you make the Barley Corn Salad.
- Stir corn, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and bacon into the cooled barley. Add enough of the reserved tomato vinaigrette to coat and stir well. Gently fold in avocado then season with salt & pepper to taste. Place into the refrigerator.
- Heat a grill to high and grill chicken for 4-5 minutes a side, or until cooked through. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes off the grill, then divide salads onto plates and top with grilled chicken.
Original recipe can be found at iowagirleats.com