It's summer and that means nice cold treats - like these blackberry ombre popsicles from Tutti Dolce. How good do these look?! They're the perfect treat to have after some grilled chicken and veggies, salmon kabobs, or your other favorite BBQ.
Yield: 12 popsicles
- 6 ounces plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 cups blackberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Place yogurt in an ultra-fine sieve or a strainer lined with cheesecloth and strain over a bowl in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (or up to overnight). Combine strained yogurt, cream cheese, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Let syrup cool to room temperature, then combine simple syrup, blackberries, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and puree.
- Ladle blackberry mixture into four bowls; the first bowl will be pure blackberry. Mix in about 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture to the second bowl; about 1/3 cup yogurt mixture to the third bowl; and about 2/3 cup yogurt mixture to the fourth bowl (chill mixtures in the refrigerator while assembling pops).
- Use a liquid measuring cup to fill each popsicle mold with pure blackberry mixture; let layer freeze for 30 minutes. Add second layer (next lightest shade) and let freeze for 30 minutes. Add third layer and let freeze for 30 minutes. Add fourth layer, leaving a 1/4-inch space at the top of each mold. Let freeze for 45 minutes, then insert popsicle sticks and freeze overnight. To unmold, let popsicles stand at room temperature for 5 minutes or run molds under warm water for 30 seconds.
Taste blackberries before using - if they are quite tart, you may want to increase simple syrup to 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water.
Original recipe can be found at Tutti-Dolce.com.