Shop Local Stl- Shanti Yoga
Posted on November 28 2015
Katie Kelly Owner of Shanti Yoga!
Why do you believe in local?
- Buying local not only supports our local economy, but you know that you are supporting your neighbor in making their dreams come true!
- My dream became a reality about a year ago. I opened up my business on November 1, 2015 while I was attending an accelerated nursing program. Many people thought I was crazy for taking on two large endeavors like this. But I just graduated from in August, started working in the ER in September and am happily about to celebrate Shanti Yoga's first birthday in November! It was a lot of hard work, but I couldn't be happier.
- You know when people say, "the stars just aligned" that's exactly what happened. I had been co-owner of a yoga studio before opening my own, so I had a good idea of what it takes to run a business. But it wasn't until one of my students made me realize my own potential and encouraged me to go out on my own. It was a scary step, but I never would have done it without her! I was on a shoestring budget surrounded by good friends and family who helped me build this studio from the ground up. We literally laid the floors ourselves, tore down walls, put up new ones...it still blows my mind away to this day how it all worked out!
- I love being a part of the Maplewood community! It's such a great place to be. The residents of the city really support the local economy and I've delighted in getting to know my students personally over the last year. I also love being a partner studio with the local non-profit, Yoga Buzz! I've given several students a full scholarship to practice yoga here, so it's great to be able to give back and support others just like I was when I needed the little extra help.
- I love the fact that STL is still a little bit undiscovered. There are so many people coming back to this city after traveling and experiencing other walks of life, then making the changes that the city needs! Food roofs, boozy icecream, kombucha on tap...the list could go on and on! It's the perfect place to let an entrepreneur play around with their dreams and actually have a good chance of it being successful!