#FoodieFriday - Healthy and Hearty Mac & Cheese
Posted on December 02 2016
Looking for a low-carb alternative for Mac & Cheese?
Using quinoa instead of noodles means less carbs and more protein! Additional plus... it's just as good as regular Mac & Cheese.
Bring to your next holiday potluck to wow everyone with this healthy and hearty dish!
Author: Annie Chesson
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese + ¼ cup for topping
- 5 grates fresh nutmeg
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko
- Arugula, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Bring 4 cups of water and 2 cups of quinoa to a boil in a medium pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, covered
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt your butter
- Whisk in your flour and let that cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Add your milk and whisk together
- Let this mixture come to a simmer and thicken slightly
- Remove from the heat, add your cheese, add your nutmeg, and season to taste with salt and pepper
- When your quinoa is done cooking, add it to the skillet with your sauce and mix together
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Pour your "mac" and cheese into a 9x13 inch baking dish
- In a small bowl, combine the panko and remaining ¼ cup cheese
- Sprinkle this mixture over your "mac" and cheese, enough to coat the top (you don't need to use all of it)
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn your oven to broil, and broil for another 5 minutes, or until the top is golden brown
- Optional garnish - Arugula: I chopped some and topped the mac and cheese with it - we thought it was wonderful!