#FoodieFriday- Pecan Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Posted on October 21 2016
With eight grams of protein per cup, quinoa is a great way to get protein. And it's what's for breakfast?! A sweet and easy quinoa bowl for those days you want to start your day off with a protein packed punch without overdoing the the eggs and bacon.
Make this recipe ahead, then scoop a serving into a microwave-safe bowl, top with milk, and microwave 1 minute, or until hot.
- 2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- -- Chopped toasted pecans, warm milk, honey or brown sugar (optional)
- Bring milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa, cranberries and butter. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans, honey, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into four bowls. Top each serving with additional chopped pecans, milk, honey or brown sugar.
Recipe courtesy of the Georgia Pecan Commission.