Yes, you heard it right. HEALTHY! Sweet potato fries are such a simple recipe and provide a healthy alternative to out beloved US snack and guilty pleasure! If this is your first time making sweet potato fries, don't sweat it! We're about to walk you through it and you will be pro status in no time. For those of you who are ol' pros we're about to switch that up! Introducing turmeric tahini dip. You will never look at sweet potato fries the same way again. Sweet potatoes, like carrots and other orange colored fruits and vegetables, contain beta-carotene which gets converted into vitamin A in our body. Vitamin A is important for hair, skin, nails, vision, and plays a key role in immune function.
SIMPLE SWEET POTATO FRIES WITH TURMERIC TAHINI DIP
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, thinly sliced, peel on
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- Dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the potatoes in small "fry" size shapes, try to slice them in uniform sizes so they'll bake at the same rate.
- On a lined baking sheet greased with coconut oil, toss the fries with coconut oil and seasonings until well coated. Evenly spread the fries in 1 layer- don't overlap fries, these won't cook or crisp. If you need more room use 2 baking sheets.
- Arrange your fries in a single layer and don't overcrowd, otherwise they will never crisp up.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, flip each fry on a new side and return to baking for another 10 minutes- do this until all sides have been slipped (total of 35-40 minutes baking time). Sweet potatoes may burn on the edges slightly, this is okay, just taste test!
- Enjoy immediately or let completely cool before storing in an airtight glass container. Reheat in a toaster oven, oven, or skillet to quickly warm through. Upon reheating the fries may lose some crispness.
- For the Turmeric Tahini Dip: In a small mixing bowl, simply combine all the ingredient until smooth. You can add a little more hot water (about 1 teaspoon at a time) until you've reached your desired consistency. Store for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Serve as a dip with the Simple Sweet Potato Fries.
A tip when storing any leftovers with this recipe – let them completely cool and store them in an airtight glass container, then when you are ready to eat them pop them in the toaster oven at 425 degrees F and “toast” them making them firm again with a little crisp.
Recipe courtesy of Nutrition Stripped